Raleigh, North Carolina
David represents people harmed by negligent and reckless driving, including victims of drunk driving. He also represents victims of medical malpractice.
Before joining Kirby & Holt, David spent six years as an Assistant District Attorney in Wake County. As an ADA David saw first-hand the devastating effects that driving while impaired and reckless driving have on victims and their families. David successfully prosecuted numerous cases involving fatalities caused by reckless and negligent driving, and hundreds of DWI cases.
Through his time as a prosecutor David gained invaluable courtroom experience, where he tried cases in both Superior and District Court. David's jury trial experience includes cases involving first degree murder, DWI and other serious criminal offenses. David also prosecuted white collar crime and government corruption. In 2007 and 2008 he assisted with the successful prosecutions of former members of the North Carolina House of Representatives.
While in the DA's office, David worked for Colon Willoughby, one of the most well-respected prosecutors in North Carolina. In addition, David worked with dedicated law enforcement officers in prosecuting crimes.
A Raleigh native, David is proud to be a product of the Wake County Public School System. He attended Appalachian State University before transferring to the University of North Carolina, where he earned his B.A. in English in 1998. David then moved to Washington D.C., where he was a legislative aide in the United States Senate from 1999 through 2001. While in Washington, David worked on issues related to health care and Medicare. In 2001, he moved back to North Carolina to attend NCCU, where he earned his law degree in 2004.
David serves on numerous boards in the community, including North State Bank's Downtown Advisory Board, and the Camp Sea Gull William J. Adams IV Endowment Committee. David has previously served as a member of the Tenth Judicial District and Wake County Bar Association Board of Directors.
David is married to Lise Sherlin and they have two children. He and his family are members of Hayes Barton United Methodist Church.
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina,
Law Review: North Carolina Central University Law Journal
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill,
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Wake County Bar Association/10th Judicial District Board of Directors, 2009 - 2011
- Susie M. Sharp Inn of Court, 2011 - Present
- Camp Sea Gull William J. Adams IV Endowment Committee, 2004 - Present
- North State Bank Downtown Advisory Board, 2008 - Present
- North Carolina Democratic Party Council of Review, 2007 - Present
- Hayes Barton United Methodist Church Pre-School Committee, 2008 - 2011
- Wake County Bar Candidate Interview Committee, 2008 - 2009
- Past Employment Positions:
- Wake County District Attorney's Office, Assistant District Attorney, 2005 - 2011