Kirby & Holt once again topped the rankings for most large verdicts and settlements in the state. The legal newspaper N.C. Lawyers Weekly reported the top 25 largest verdicts and settlements over the past year. Kirby & Holt had six cases in the top 25. No other law firm had more than three.
Even more remarkably, only 16 of the top 25 verdicts were for personal injury cases - the rest were contract disputes or real estate cases and unrelated to physical injuries. That means that Kirby & Holt's cases accounted for six out of 16 of all of the largest personal injury cases in North Carolina last year - far more than any other firm.
The Kirby & Holt cases reported by N.C. Lawyers Weekly included:
- $10.75 million settlement for the family of two boys killed in a wreck caused by an out-of-control truck and a third boy who was injured in the crash.
- $4.6 million for the death of a 19-year-old who was killed during a hazing incident during pledging at his college fraternity.
- $4 million for the family of a man killed when a tractor-trailer crashed into his car.
- $3.75 million in a case in which a child suffered cerebral palsy when a doctor and hospital delayed a needed caesarian section for hours.
- $2 million in the traffic death of a young man killed when a vehicle crossed the centerline and hit him head-on.
- $1.75 million for injuries suffered by a father and his two sons when a truck crossed the median and struck them head-on on Interstate 95.
These cases are illustrative of the matters handled by Kirby & Holt, LLP. Each case is different and the results of the cases reported cannot be used as a basis for predicting the results in future cases. Each case is judged on its own unique set of facts.